Federal Building, Former U.S. Courthouse, Tampa, FL Downtown Postal Station: Adaptive use as Le Meridien Hotel, Tampa
Project cost: $30,300,000
Brief summary of work:
Work included the rehabilitation and restoration of this 105,000 square foot building located on a full block in the heart of downtown Tampa, Florida. The property, constructed in 1905, and individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was transferred by the U.S. General Services Administration to the City of Tampa in 2003 with certain requirements which requirements included coordination with the Florida State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO). In late 2011, the city issued a Request for Proposals for the Adaptive Use of the former Federal Building as a new hotel. In 2012, Tampa Hotel Partners, LLC was selected as the developer and long term Lessee.
Stephanie Ferrell’s work, as historic preservation consulting architect, included ongoing coordination with the SHPO – as well as with the City of Tampa and the Historic Preservation Office of the National Park Service – during the design, construction document preparation and construction phases of the project. In August 2014, the completed restoration/ rehabilitation of this historic building was found consistent with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation by the Florida SHPO.